Friday, March 28, 2008

Koje-do

Koje is the name of the Korean island we are currently located. Actually, its Korean character name can be read either Geoje or Koje. The first character of its name can be read either "k" or "g" since Koreans basically pronounce it similarly. After more than 6 months living here in Korea, I have learned the Korean alphabet which I think is much easier than the Japanese alphabet. Japanese alphabet is composed of 2 styles - the Hiragana for Japanese words and Katakana for foreign words (not to mention, they also have to study the chinese characters or Kanji) while here in Korea, they have only 1 style which is Hangul. I am impressed by the way they have created the written alphabet which I can say is basically a phonetic alphabet. I have been with a Japanese company for the past nine years and I have been to Japan more than 5 times but I still haven't mastered their alphabet(s). But here in Korea, in just a matter of months, I can dare say, I have definitely learned to read their writing system and I am even not that gifted in the art of languages. Ofcourse, I am still in the very basic stage of their spoken language which is more complicated. Well, atleast I know how to read. My wife is currently studying the Korean language with the sponsorship of the Koje government. Hopefully, she will get to learn more than I have since I believe girls are more adept in the languages. I won't dwell much on the Korean language since we are still in Grade 1. I have passed grade 1 but my wife is still studying and hopefully go on to study the Korean language until Grade 3 (which is more advanced) for Foreigners.

This post will be about the recent places my family visited here in our 2nd hometown - Koje Island. When we first arrived here, we thought it is a laid-back mountainous island where we can expect to have a quiet and serene life. Yet, we learned this island has many beautiful spots quite famous in Korea. In fact, my officemates coming from bigger cities said that Koje is the vacation island famous for beautiful beaches and other historical places. Indeed, the beaches are beautiful and there are definitely some historical places one must visit. One of the more famous sites is the Korean POW Camp which has been converted into an impressive tourist attraction. I haven't been there but my wife and daughter had the chance to visit it together with our Korean friend - Hee Jeung. Based from the pictures, I would definitely go there together with them specially now that spring season has started. It would probably be a spritually enlightening feeling setting foot on such a historical place reminding us of the perils of war. I surely hope we won't get to experience war in our lifetime. Another place which my wife and daughter visited is the the Botanical Garden. A place where you get to see some nice plantation surrounded by sculptures made of stones and trees. A place where man-made creations intwine beautifully with nature. We hope to visit more of Koje's historical and beautiful sites and take advantage of this opportunity of living in Korea.


No comments: